SI #3 tada!





Materials: markers, colored pencils
Processes: First I drew an outline with pencil. I then colored in the hands, coffee cup, shirt, and comic. I erased the pencil as I went in order to not smudge the pencil marks with marker. The colored pencil was used over the marker to add shadows and detail.
Ideas: My idea at first was to draw a coffee cup on a flat surface depicting Scadoosh (long haired guy) yet again pranking Tom (crazy yellow hair guy). I ended up drawing the coffee cup being held in order to add interest and to fit with my question. I changed the comic to just show them being friends to tell the reader that they are friends. The comic now leads up to my next piece. I changed the color of Tom’s shirt to aqua because a red background would have looked weird (also I had no good red marker). 

 

Comments

  1. Very, very good!!
    We really are enjoying your story.
    The writing and reference you've added really helps, you will see at the end! I suggest you go back and use MarkUp and make notes (that you actually thought) as you were investigating the materials and colors. You won't have many words (characters) in the submission so putting these thoughts down on that page will help a lot. Like, "Stipple for shading?" "Is this flesh color too yellow?", things like that.

    I like the marker and colored pencil. I'd love to see your amazing skills at colored pencil somewhere in this series (like your cookie cutter dragon that was off the charts good!)
    It would add a lot of visual energy to juxtapose the really 'real' with the cartoon. It would also give you a beginning middle and end if it was a piece near the end. But that's just me, you do you. :) I just know you have the skills. Plus if you did want to go more realistic, you can try marker paper next time and go smaller. The marker paper might be less rough because it accepts the marker so the process may go faster.

    Look up my old illustration colleague Dan Pirarro's Bizarro. (We worked side by side at an Illustration studio called Stat Cat.) His syndicated series has a little flying saucer spaceman in each frame, kind of like your kiwi.

    Such a great job Blaise, keep it up!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

SI #2 Finished!

SI #6 the beginning of doom!